Thursday, April 10, 2008

Response to Ethical Lapses Article

I found this article to be very interesting. I was appauled at all of the statistics and percentages throughout the article. I can not believe that 73% of full-time employed Americans have encountered ethical lapses on the job. It says that 36% have been distracted by these ethical lapses. A job can be stressful enough without additional incidents such as these taking place! I also found it interesting when the article say only 36% of Americans report unethical behavior in the work place. I can definitely see the reasons why some people may not feel comfortable reporting such behaviors. Some companies probably have failed in telling their employees ways to report these unethical behaviors to management. Some people may feel that reporting specific cases will cause more drama and distractions in the workplace. Other people probably simply do not feel comfortable with getting involved. I can not imagine this type of thing taking place and my workplace and me not reporting it. It is a shame that certain situations in the workplace can cause a person to feel so distracted that they can not do their job accurately. Hopefully companies will start seeing the problems and begin showing their employees how to handle these types of situations when they take place.

No comments: